9.23.2010

One week away...

A week from tomorrow (if not sooner), baby girl #2 will join her big sister, Halle, and make us a family of four! Wow. We decided to go with labor induction for a few reasons...I will go ahead and get those out of the way. Personally, I have always been a slightly opposed to the idea (except in cases where baby is in danger and needs to be born quickly). However, when we put all the following factors together, it makes sense to us; and the bottom line is, a beautiful new life is entering the world...regardless of whether she comes "in her own time" or at a "scheduled" time. Read on...

First of all, we are a bit over an hour away from the hospital where I'm delievering, so that alone makes me a little nervous. I really don't want my story of having a baby in the car re-enacted on one of those Discovery Health baby shows. Then, add that to the fact that I am GBS positive again this time (it's a bacteria that up to 35% of healthy women carry in their body...not harmful to me, but potentially VERY harmful to baby during delivery) and I need at least 4 hours of IV antibiotics prior to delivery. I really want to make sure I'm at the hospital in time to take care of that. And, although you most likely have, I certainly have NOT forgotten that the epidural (x 2) I got during labor with Halle did not work. And - if I'm being completely honest- it turned the whole thing into a pretty traumatic experience that stayed with me for months afterward... so I also want to make sure I am at the hospital in time to get the epidural going and adjusted correctly BEFORE the agonizing pain begins. Yes, I know many women now (and throughout all of history) give birth without epidurals, I have no idea why a person would CHOOSE to feel that amount of pain when they have an option not to. Not to mention, increased pain during childbirth was part of the curse after Adam and Eve sinned in the garden...that much pain wasn't part of God's original plan for childbirth. Just saying.... Ok, and the final reason (which by itself probably wouldn't be enough to make us choose induction, but nonetheless is a small factor), is that my doctor is going to China to pick up a little girl that she and her husband are adopting the week after next, so she wouldn't be able to deliver the baby if I went until my actual due date.

So there you have it. Unless baby comes sooner on her own (which I realize is a real possibility), we will go in to Community North Hospital in Indy at 7 a.m. on Friday, October 1. Baby girl should arrive sometime that day and our lives will forever be changed AGAIN! AND you all will finally get to find out what her name is!

While I am SUPER excited to meet her, my mind is also going a hundred miles an hour (and gaining speed as the day gets closer) thinking about all the ways life is going to get harder. It is in my human nature to think of all my inadequacies as a mom and all the ways I could fail to be everything I want to be for my daughters (not to mention I typically require more sleep than the average person..haha...and that won't be happening for quite some time). But thankfully, I have been able to hear God's voice telling me that He IS enough. I don't have to be, and I never will be on my own. If He's big enough and powerful enough to create the universe, compassionate and loving enough to sacrifice (and resurrect) His own Son for our sake, and patient enough to walk with me through all the ups and downs...then He is certainly more than adequate to work through me (and Josh) to raise our girls His way. The sleepless nights and (seemingly) endless crying, diaper changing, etc. will pass SO quickly so I am deciding NOW to see each day at a gift and treasure the moments I have with my babies because they will not be babies for long.

Next post will probably be newborn pictures! Can't wait to see her face :)

No comments:

Post a Comment